OSU Bands VIRTUAL Auditions – Spring 2022
Auditions for Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, Concert Band, and University Band will take place January 10-11, 2022.
UPDATE: Due to the Omicron COVID-19 variant surging throughout the country, Spring 2022 auditions will be VIRTUAL (except for percussion). This means that you will video yourself playing the excerpts, upload that video to YouTube as an unlisted video, and complete a brief form to submit your audition video. We realize this may be disappointing to some, but this is being done in the best interests of the safety and well-being of all our students. See below for specific instructions on how to submit your audition.
Who Should Audition?
EVERYONE is welcome and encouraged to audition. All four of our ensembles are open to ALL OSU students, regardless of major. We have both music majors and non-music majors playing in all of our ensembles.
- Music majors and minors (regardless of scholarship amount) are required to audition
- Non-music majors on band scholarships or CMB out-of-state tuition waivers are required to complete the ENTIRE audition packet
- Music majors and minors are required to complete the ENTIRE audition packet, thereby auditioning for all four ensembles. Non-music majors are encouraged to complete the entire audition packet. However, non-music majors who only want to audition for University Band only need to complete the excerpts by Tyler S. Grant and J.S. Bach.
Audition Due Dates
Monday, January 10, 2022
11:59 p.m. – ALL BRASS, plus double reeds are due by 11:59 pm
Tuesday, January 11, 2022
1:30 – 2:45 p.m. – Percussion auditions will take place LIVE in the Percussion Studio in the GSM (all players and faculty will be masked)
11:59 p.m. – Flutes, Clarinets, Bass Clarinets, and Saxophones are due by 11:59 p.m.
What to prepare
The following excerpts (please note that if you are only auditioning for University Band, you only need to prepare the Bach and Grant excerpts). Music majors and minors, as well as any students on tuition waivers, are required to prepare all excerpts. non-music majors wanting to audition for Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, or Concert Band are also required to submit all excerpts.
How to Submit Your Audition
- Record yourself in a SINGLE TAKE using your computer, smart phone, or tablet. This means you must hit record, play all of the excerpts without pausing the video in between, and then stop the video only after playing the final excerpt. This is to simulate the way you would do the audition if it were live.
- Upload the video to YouTube. You may need to create a YouTube account (if you already have a Google account, you can use that same login for a YouTube account).
- Set the Visibility of your video to Unlisted. DO NOT set the visibility to private, as this will prevent us from viewing the video (even with the link).
- Complete the Audition Form, including the link to your YouTube audition (please test your video link first to make sure it works, and double-check that the visibility is set to Unlisted)
- Questions? Contact Andres Labastida by email, phone, or text at (575) 318-4545 for assistance with recording or uploading your video.
- Since the audition will be submitted as a video submission, we will not be able to do blind / screened auditions this semester.
- You may submit your audition at any time up to the deadline specified above for your instrument. If you miss the audition submission deadline, please contact Andres Labastida (contact info below) to let him know. He will help coordinate an additional audition time if possible.
- If you have questions about how to upload your video, please email Andres Labastida, or text or call him at (575) 318-4545, and he will be happy to assist you.
- A reminder that this needs to be an uninterrupted video where you do not pause the recording between excerpts.
- We will NOT PLAY in ensembles during the first week of classes (Jan 10-14). During this first week, we will meet (FULLY MASKED or virtually) to distribute syllabi, music, and talk through our plan for the semester. The earliest we will play together in person with any of the bands will be January 18th. We will be closely monitoring the severity of COVID cases in our area. If it is safe to play together in person, then we will do so. If not, we will postpone in-person rehearsals another week and give individual practice assignments on the repertoire.
Call (405) 744-6135 or email us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. For help with YouTube video submissions, please contact Andres Labastida at email@example.com, or by calling or texting (575) 318-4545.